Hip Hop / Parkour
This unit of work, lesson plans, set dance and literature is recommended for Year 8 Dance.
The unit focuses on the basic techniques of Hip Hop dance and brings in ideas taken from Parkour.
• Technical skills Introduction to an urban style of dance and further contact work. Transference of their technical skills to typical style with strict rhythm.
• Expressive skills Pupils will be encouraged to use a sound rhythmic structure to their performance, moving on and off the beat precisely. Pupils should also show a clarity and control when landing, moving over and around other dancers.
• Choreographic skills Pupils will use a variety of group sizes and relationships, with some opportunity solo, duet and trio work. The use of ‘tagging in’ will be explored for transition.
• Appreciation skills Pupils will view pictures and video and describe the key action, spatial, and dynamic relationship features. For example the action of the traceurs as they move around the city. Comment on the views and opinions expressed by leading professionals in parkour and Hip Hop dance.
Full scheme of work
Lesson Objectives & Activities:
Lesson 1: To develop ability to identify the key characteristics of modern musicals and street style dance. To acquire, develop and perform technical skills from street dance and through the learning of a ‘set study’. To develop performance skills by developing the specific sense of style. Activities - Introduction of the scheme and the characteristics of musicals. Learn a set piece based on the scene from HSM 2. Teach in sections, give time to work in pairs or small groups for students to rehearse and check each other. Gain an understanding of street dance and it’s context. Gain an understanding of the use of dance within theatre and its origin.
Lesson 2: To refine and perform the set study with clarity, precision and as a member of a group. To develop their compositional skills by developing their own set materia.l To develop and apply evaluative skills, commenting on the work of others, identifying their strengths and areas for development. Activities - Learn and perform in a group the set study based on a musical theatre piece. Make constructive comments on the performance of others Rehearse, refine and improve their own and others performances. Work with a partner to adapt and develop the set study applying the basic modern theatre steps.
Lesson 3: To discover the importance of Parkour within dance and the media. To develop their compositional skills by developing their own set material. Activities - Learn about Parkour and the various media influence Learn partner techniques. Make constructive comments on the performance of others, relating their performance to the actions and dynamics seen in photographs.
Lesson 4: Be able to rehearse, refine and improve their own and others performances. Know how to work with a partner to develop their contact skills to use a partner as an obstacle. Activities - Refine partner technique experiment with using one/two hands and as they become more confident a variety of levels. Manipulate this further by creating a phrase that travels around the space. Students should then combine set phrases with obstacle work.
Lesson 5: To learn how to isolate various parts of the body. To further develop their compositional skills by developing their own set material. To acquire, develop and perform a phrase of movement that reflects a popping and locking isolation style, as well as tagging in. Activities - Students rehearse their piece to date. Give time for students to complete their Free running section. Introduce the group to isolation work and how this can be used in the street style, give examples. Use in contrast to the free running section. Introduce tagging in.
Lesson 6: Refine their structure and perform their group piece. To develop and apply evaluative skills, commenting on the work of others, identifying their strengths and areas for development. Demonstrate clarity, fluency and expressive use of and Respond imaginatively to improvisation tasks, based on key concepts related to the original dance idea. Activities - Warm-up. Rehearsal of all aspects of the group dance, refining to communicate the dance idea. Remember all 3 sections of their piece Performance to teacher and peers. Evaluation of performances.
- Full Scheme of Work
- Full Lesson Plans
- Set Dance
- Informational sheet
- Using your partner as an obstacle sheet